Skip to main content

MYOBF: Squash Edition!

MYOBF = Make Your Own Baby Food!

Something I always wanted to do is make baby food for my babies and I didn't get to do it with Ava, but was determined to at least try to do it for Anniston.  Why?  Three reasons!  1)  I love to cook, 2) it is cheaper, 3) it's healthier....you know EXACTLY what's going into their food, and I find comfort in that!

Yesterday I had to pick up a couple of things at Kroger and I decided that it was the time to try this out!  I picked up acorn squash, 2 of them to be exact.  I had read online that summer squash isn't good to use, but winter squash, such as acorn or butternut were fantastic squash choices!  I had never cooked an acorn squash so I was a little nervous at first, but once I got started, it was SO unbelievably easy!  Kyle and I even tried it and it tasted delicious!  I've made a pictorial how to make baby food to share with you!  I can't wait to try more!

 Step 1:  Select your acorn squash and wash them off.

 Step 2:  Cut the squash in half.  This is kind of hard, but not as hard as a spaghetti squash!

 Step 3:  Scoop out the seeds using a spoon.

 Step 4:  Throw out the seeds and stringy stuff.

 Step 5:  Place squash face down in a glass pan.

 Step 6:  Cover with an inch of water.

 Step 7:  Bake in 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or until skin pulls away from the "meat."

 Step 8:  Let cool.

 Step 9:  Scoop out the meat.


Step 10:  (Sorry this is sideways!)  Put in a food processor or grinder of your choice.  I used a Magic Bullet.  Also, you can add water to get to the right consistency.

 Step 11:  Pour into ice cube trays.  2 ice cubes = 1 jar of baby food.  These 2 squash made 36 little cubes.
Freeze the tray.

Step 12:  Pop out frozen cubes and put them in a freezer bag.

There's really no need to buy a special freezer tray for this!  When Anniston is ready to eat baby food in a couple of weeks, all we have to do is take a cube or two out of the freezer, nuke it in the microwave, and watch her enjoy it!

This batch cost me $5.87.  It will be enough for 18-20 servings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adley's Birth Story

I have been a little overloaded in life and let our blog go to the back burner!  But, I must write about sweet Adley's birth story just like I did with Ava and Anniston :) On June 8, after a sleepless night, Kyle and I got up and got ready to head to the hospital to meet our third precious girl.  To say I was nervous would be the biggest understatement ever.  Even though I had gone through 2 csections before, it didn't mean I wasn't scared and nervous....it's a big, scary surgery!  Mostly I was just afraid of the needle.... We arrived at the hospital, checked in, and started getting prepped for surgery.  First came the beautiful gown (I was so happy it wasn't the paper/plastic gown like I had with Anniston...I sweat to death in that gown), then came blood work and the IV, which I was not excited about....I hate needles.  And then the VERY worst part started.  Waiting.  Waiting for the magical hour of 7:30 am.  It took forever.  I was...

My Lovely Baby Bump!

My belly is getting bigger and bigger each day. Even though I haven't gained any weight by the doctor's scale...it's definitely growing. There has been a request to see the baby bump, so here it is in all its glory! Enjoy! This is me today at 16 weeks.

The Week is Here!

We can't believe this is the week we will see our daughter. Some of you may be thinking, "What? How do you know? Your due date isn't even until next week!" Well, let me update those of you who may be thinking this. Last week, on Wednesday, we went to the doctor, hoping and praying that my body would be showing some progress towards having a baby. The doctor checked and informed us that the baby is still kinda high, and that I'm not 1 cm dilated, but I'm not 0 cm either. So she told us it was time to make a plan. Here's what she came up with. She said that if I am dilated 2-3 cm by this Wednesday, then she'll send me over to the hospital right then and start inducing me. But, if I'm not 2-3 cm then the following day, Thursday, she would do a c-section. She knew we were going to be on Fall Break and that we'd love to spend a couple of free extra days off with Ava so she said we could do it this week. She's going out of town on Fri...