Skip to main content

A Proverbs 31 Wife


So, a couple of weeks ago, in our ABF class we read a little bit from Proverbs 31. For those of you that don't know, this passage in the Bible is all about what a Christian wife should be like. One part of this scripture, verse 27, says "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." This sentence just resonated in my mind and heart and really got me to thinking about how I use my time. There are many times when we are just hanging out, watching tv, etc. that got me to thinking about how often I am eating the bread of idleness. I decided that I needed to change and try harder to be a Proverbs 31 wife. (Note: I am in no way saying it is bad to lounge around the house and watch tv, I'm just saying I feel the need to be more productive with my time.)

Here are a few things I have implemented into my life to make me become more like the woman that God created me to be.

1.) Take some time each day to read a devotion and scripture. The church handed out some free books one Sunday and I grabbed one. It has a scripture to reflect on and a short devotion to read as well. The past few days have been all about the Holy Spirit and his role in the Trinity.

2.) Helping Kyle with his classes. Sometimes this means I help him by reading his responses and checking them for grammar and spelling, and sometimes it means keeping Ava out of his hair for a while so he can concentrate. As I mentioned in a post before, I've offered to take care of cooking dinner, cleaning it up, and getting Ava bathed and ready for bed so that he can work on getting his assignments done and still have time to spend with us before bedtime.

3.) I've offered to take over the finances again for Kyle. I know it is a stress for him and it takes quite a bit of time. I'm still waiting on an answer though.

4.) I've created a calendar to organize our life. On it, I have listed the meals for dinner (this makes shopping for groceries SO much easier!), little chores for each day of the week (that way our weekend is spent having family time/homework time), and important dates. I really like our new calendar! I printed it off for free on Pinterest!

I am so excited to be starting off a new year in a new way. I think these little changes will help me become more like a Proverbs 31 wife. I know there are plenty more things I need to add to my short list though! (Later on this year, when I get a spare chance, I'm planning to read the book shown below! I hope to find even more ways to improve myself!)
Proverbs 31:10-31
Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character
10 [b]A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Lovely Baby Bump!

My belly is getting bigger and bigger each day. Even though I haven't gained any weight by the doctor's scale...it's definitely growing. There has been a request to see the baby bump, so here it is in all its glory! Enjoy! This is me today at 16 weeks.

One Down, Two More to Go!

This week, we reached the second trimester of the pregnancy. I was very excited to meet this milestone for two main reasons...1st you can breathe easier because the baby will most likely be healthy and less chance of miscarriage and 2 nd there is hope that morning sickness will be gone! Don't get me wrong, I wasn't as sick as some people who throw up 3 or 4 times a day, but just about every day all day I was nauseous and queasy-I only actually got sick 3 or 4 times a week. It really is true what women say, it seriously goes away as soon as you hit the 2nd trimester! What a relief! Not too much is going on here. We are just trying to be patient and wait to find out the gender of our baby. Some days it seems like the days and weeks are flying, but then other days it seems like it is going slowly. I just can't wait to call and pray for our baby by name. On a much funnier note, I think I will now include some of the awesome advice I have recieved from my 4th grade st

Baby #2 is On the Way!

Yay ! We are having another baby! This has been a terribly hard secret to keep for the past few weeks, but now we can shout it out! Yesterday we went to our first doctors appointment and then did about 6 hours of telling our huge family. Here's how our day went: Our appointment was at 9. We registered, sat down for 1 minute, and then we got called back to get the ultrasound. I had never had an ultrasound this early with Ava, so I really didn't know what to expect. The ultrasound lady just keep looking at this screen and there would be a beeping sound every so often and we were all so quiet for at least 5 minutes, it could've been an hour though. One thing I don't like is silence. And there was a lot of silence. The ultrasound tech and Kyle were both staring at the screen with straight faces, so at that point I started praying and waiting more. Finally, she turned the screen for me to see, and there it was. This tiny little baby...the head, the body, I could