Skip to main content

Adley's Birth Story

I have been a little overloaded in life and let our blog go to the back burner!  But, I must write about sweet Adley's birth story just like I did with Ava and Anniston :)

On June 8, after a sleepless night, Kyle and I got up and got ready to head to the hospital to meet our third precious girl.  To say I was nervous would be the biggest understatement ever.  Even though I had gone through 2 csections before, it didn't mean I wasn't scared and nervous....it's a big, scary surgery!  Mostly I was just afraid of the needle....

We arrived at the hospital, checked in, and started getting prepped for surgery.  First came the beautiful gown (I was so happy it wasn't the paper/plastic gown like I had with Anniston...I sweat to death in that gown), then came blood work and the IV, which I was not excited about....I hate needles.  And then the VERY worst part started.  Waiting.  Waiting for the magical hour of 7:30 am.  It took forever.  I was thankful to have Kyle and all of our family in the room with me....but I sure didn't act like it.  I was so tired that I felt like someone had drugged me.  I guess the mix of nerves and sleepiness made me turn into a zombie.  My sister took tons of pictures of our family waiting to meet the new baby.

I perked up a bit when my awesome doctor came in to say hello....and a few minutes later I was being wheeled to the operating room.  They dropped Kyle off into his special waiting area and got me ready for my spinal tap.  I must tell you that I had the very best operating team in the world.  The anesthesiologist told me everything to expect and calmed me down.  I really can't say enough about her....she was amazing.  I was so relieved when the spinal was over and could then focus on getting to see our daughter.  While they were getting my body prepared for slicing and dicing, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to tell the doctors and nurses how great they were....my doctor thought they HAD given me something to make me loopy....but no, I was just so appreciative!

I was so happy when Kyle got to my side...it seemed like it took a long time for him to get in there. I was unbelievably calm through the whole process....and very excited.  I could not wait to see Adley!  I was also extremely excited about what would happen after the surgery!  This was the first time I would be able to recover WITH the baby!  After some cutting, lots of nausea and zofran, I heard our girl crying!  Someone announced she had red hair and all I couldn't wait to see her!  Kyle brought her over to me....I cried happy tears and tears of joy to see that perfect baby girl.  She was healthy and here and there was simply nothing better than seeing her and hearing the Lullaby song announcing her birth!  After a couple of pictures, Kyle took her out to meet the family, and then she went to the nursery to be weighed, measured, and everything else.  While she and Kyle were together, my doctor did another small procedure to ensure that Adley would be the last Brooks Baby, and closed me up.  I kept asking how much longer because I had big things to do....like hold and love on my new baby girl.

It probably took a half hour of finishing up before I was wheeled to recovery.  Once I got to the recovery room, Kyle and my doctor were chatting and she let me know that it was a very good choice to have Adley at 38 weeks because my platelet count was so low!  She said I just scraped by to getting to be awake and have Kyle with me during her delivery.  Yikes!  God knew and He and His plan was perfect for Adley's birth day.  As always!

The nurses started all the recovery procedures while I asked Kyle a million questions about our girl!  After a few minutes they wheeled her in!  I finally got to hold this sweet girl....and it was a magical moment!  She was so sweet and cuddly and we got to do skin to skin while the nurses did their work on me.  It was a perfect moment.  They told me she was 6 pounds, 7 ounces, and 18 3/4 inches long.  Turns out she wasn't red headed at all....she had the exact hair color that Anniston did at birth!  Actually....she looked like Anniston's twin! 

After recovering for an hour, Adley and I were wheeled to our hospital room.  I got to see Ava and Anniston and the rest of our family and we shared the first moments of our new family of five.  Everything was great!

While we were in the hospital, Adley lost quite a bit of weight and the doctor was quite worried about her bilirubin levels, but by Wednesday morning, we were released.  We had instructions to feed her every three hours, to supplement with an ounce of breast milk after each nursing session, and to go back to the hospital the next day for a bilirubin check the next day.  We were so happy to go home, and we were determined to get her levels down!  We went home and enjoyed the day and night with our three girls.  It was so good to be home.

The next morning we went back to the hospital, had her foot pricked and her levels checked.  An hour later the doctor's office called and said they were still too high. Bummer!  They asked us to come in the next day to have a weight check....and after we did that we were sent back to the hospital for another bilirubin check.  Once again, after we got home the doctor called and said it was still too high and that we were being re-admitted to the hospital so that Adley could spend the next 24 hours under the bilirubin lights.  We were so tired and worried, but thankfully my sister took our girls (again) and watched them overnight while we headed back to the hospital.

Our second stay at the hospital was horrific to say the least.  I could give you a list of the problems we had while there, but I won't bore you with that!  Just trust me when I say it was awful.  The doctor came the next morning and checked her out and read her levels and said that we could leave around noon.  We did and we were so happy to go home (again)!  We hadn't slept the night before, due to our bad experience, so we made it home and we were more exhausted than we had ever been in our life!  We were so happy to have all our girls under one roof again!

Because of Adley's low weight and jaundice, we were in and out of the hospital and doctor's office a lot during her first weeks of life, but now we are settling into our new routine and loving every minute of it!  As of last week, our 4 week old weighed in at 6 lbs 15 oz....so we know she's growing and thriving....she's just taking her time!  And that's perfectly fine with us!

We are so thankful that God chose to bless us with three sweet girls.  God is good...ALL the time!  We can't wait to see our girls grow up and learn to love God and live for Him!

Here's a few pictures!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Lovely Baby Bump!

My belly is getting bigger and bigger each day. Even though I haven't gained any weight by the doctor's scale...it's definitely growing. There has been a request to see the baby bump, so here it is in all its glory! Enjoy! This is me today at 16 weeks.

One Down, Two More to Go!

This week, we reached the second trimester of the pregnancy. I was very excited to meet this milestone for two main reasons...1st you can breathe easier because the baby will most likely be healthy and less chance of miscarriage and 2 nd there is hope that morning sickness will be gone! Don't get me wrong, I wasn't as sick as some people who throw up 3 or 4 times a day, but just about every day all day I was nauseous and queasy-I only actually got sick 3 or 4 times a week. It really is true what women say, it seriously goes away as soon as you hit the 2nd trimester! What a relief! Not too much is going on here. We are just trying to be patient and wait to find out the gender of our baby. Some days it seems like the days and weeks are flying, but then other days it seems like it is going slowly. I just can't wait to call and pray for our baby by name. On a much funnier note, I think I will now include some of the awesome advice I have recieved from my 4th grade st

Baby #2 is On the Way!

Yay ! We are having another baby! This has been a terribly hard secret to keep for the past few weeks, but now we can shout it out! Yesterday we went to our first doctors appointment and then did about 6 hours of telling our huge family. Here's how our day went: Our appointment was at 9. We registered, sat down for 1 minute, and then we got called back to get the ultrasound. I had never had an ultrasound this early with Ava, so I really didn't know what to expect. The ultrasound lady just keep looking at this screen and there would be a beeping sound every so often and we were all so quiet for at least 5 minutes, it could've been an hour though. One thing I don't like is silence. And there was a lot of silence. The ultrasound tech and Kyle were both staring at the screen with straight faces, so at that point I started praying and waiting more. Finally, she turned the screen for me to see, and there it was. This tiny little baby...the head, the body, I could