Skip to main content

Stomach Virus

The stomach virus entered the Brooks home for the first time in a very long time, and it took on the ladies of the house last weekend. I seriously do not know where I would have been without my husband! Let me give you a rundown of our sickly weekend. (Read with caution, I've tried not to give too many details!)

It all started on Thursday. I picked Ava up from school, and her teacher let me know that she just didn't know if Ava felt very well. I knew she was snotty that morning and figured it was the start of another sinus infection. I took her home, we played, ate, gave her a bath, and we put her to bed at her normal time. We were all sleeping soundly til we heard her coughing and crying at around 3:30 Friday morning. We both ran to her room and saw her laying there, looking pitiful, with throw up all around her and on her. She's never thrown up before, so it made me really sad. I had one moment of gagging, and then Kyle reminded me that I can not do that, and we got into action as our awesome team of two. I stripped Ava down and threw her in the bathub, Kyle stripped down her crib and got the laundry started. After her bath, we got her all warm and cuddly in new pjs, new sheets, fresh blankets, and laid her back down for bed. I went back to bed and and started typing up sub plans in an email to my awesome teammate and friend at school. We got all settled in to get a few more hours of sleep, when all of the sudden....Ava was throwing up again. We got into action once more, repeating the same steps we took half an hour ago: bath, strip the bed, new sheets, laundry, new pjs, paci, back to sleep. Thirty minutes later....more vomiting. :( Do it all over again....except no bath this time, she managed to only get it in the bed. After getting her all cleaned up we decided we'd keep her upright for a while, since every time she laid down was when all this started.

We all piled in our huge full sized bed. Ava laid in my arms for a while and then we turned on some cartoons, and she seemed fine. For a while we thought everything was getting better. And then.....she threw up....all over me and her, luckily, sparing the bed! We hopped in the shower, cleaned up, and called Kyle's mom to see if she could pull some strings at our pediatrician's office to get us one of the earliest appointments possible. Kyle had the news on, and our good friend the Polar Report, showed that Warren County schools had been closed! Whew! Thank goodness! Now we could both be home and take Ava to the doctor and see what was making her so sick.

We took her to the doctor early that morning and he said she had some sinus stuff going on and the drainage was probably what was making her throw up. He called in an antibiotic and a decongestant to the pharmacy and said she should be feeling as good as new, pretty soon! We went to the pharmacy to get the medicines and stock up on some Pedialite, tissues, and baby toothpaste....you know, the essentials! It took FOREVER at the pharmacy, and I am not exaggerating! When I got out to the van Ava was asleep and Kyle informed me that she had gotten sick again, all over her pretty pink coat (which is dry clean only, booooo). We headed home, poured her some apple Pedialite (which I tried and gagged on, and she didn't like it very much either). She slept a little bit that day, ate barely anything, and more than anything, she just wanted to sit in one of our laps and watch the same episode of Sesame Street(The Beach, OnDemand) over and over. Which we allowed, since she was sick, and it kept her still. (We were afraid if she was up and running and rolling around, her stomach would start up again.) The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Just lots of rest.

We woke up the next morning (Saturday), and Ava acted like she felt tons better! She ate very little, but drank her milk quickly! We still thought we'd keep her home so she could recover the rest of the day.

Kyle and I needed to go to the grocery, so we called his mom and she happily came over to watch our girl while we headed out for a couple of hours. We went to Stakz first for a quick yogurt date, and then headed to Wal-Mart. Shortly after we got there, I got a really bad headache and told Kyle I didn't feel well. I was extremely nauseous and felt sick to my stomach. I could hardly pick out any groceries because I felt so sick. We finished up and went home. I took some Excedrin migraine and Kyle told me to go lay down for a while. I felt so sick.

After a couple of hours the nausea wasn't going away and other things started happening. Kyle ran out and got a Zofran from my sister (thanks), I took it and waited anxiously for something to happen. Nothing did.....still felt sick. After a few hours I threw up, and felt a little better. I thought I was on the mend. Little did I know, it was just getting started. Ava was having nasty diapers, frequently, so Kyle called the doctor on call and she prescribed me some phenegran and told him to pick up these granules to put in Ava's drinks to help her keep things in her system. We called my dad and he came to sit with me and Ava while Kyle went to not one, but two pharmacies. Thank goodness, for my dad sitting with me, because I was getting sick and so was Ava.

When Kyle got home he gave me a pill, I took one, and then it came back up. I took another, and it came back up. I took the same medicine in different form and I think it stayed in my system long enough to work, because I was knocked out. I couldn't move or do anything but sleep.

At around 11:30 I heard Ava getting sick and Kyle running to her. I got up and felt so disoriented, I didn't know how to work my arms and legs and my head was throbbing! I looked at him and he was holding her and they were both covered with throw up. He was begging me to help him and I just couldn't. I didn't know how to help. I was so mad at myself and then I started getting sick again. After much work, and several attempts, I finally found a phone and called his mom to come help us. She came quickly and I could hear them getting things cleaned up and then everything was quiet. I took another phenegran around 1 AM because I was feeling queasy again and then I was fine. I still felt gross, but I was fine.

Kyle's mom stayed with us most of the day on Sunday, making sure Ava and the house was taken care of. Kyle worked all day on laundry and disinfecting and changing sheets. I slept seriously, all day long.

Now we are all better! We've been so thankful for the snow days this week so we could get all the way better. However, the past couple of days we've been ready to go back to school, so it doesn't mess with our summer plans!

I know this post is gross, but I just have to let everyone know how great my husband is. I do not know what I would have done without him. It is so amazing to be part of a team where work is shared and not just one person's responsibility. I'm so thankful that God has blessed me with Kyle! I always wanted to be married, but I don't think that I ever knew just how great it would be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Lovely Baby Bump!

My belly is getting bigger and bigger each day. Even though I haven't gained any weight by the doctor's scale...it's definitely growing. There has been a request to see the baby bump, so here it is in all its glory! Enjoy! This is me today at 16 weeks.

One Down, Two More to Go!

This week, we reached the second trimester of the pregnancy. I was very excited to meet this milestone for two main reasons...1st you can breathe easier because the baby will most likely be healthy and less chance of miscarriage and 2 nd there is hope that morning sickness will be gone! Don't get me wrong, I wasn't as sick as some people who throw up 3 or 4 times a day, but just about every day all day I was nauseous and queasy-I only actually got sick 3 or 4 times a week. It really is true what women say, it seriously goes away as soon as you hit the 2nd trimester! What a relief! Not too much is going on here. We are just trying to be patient and wait to find out the gender of our baby. Some days it seems like the days and weeks are flying, but then other days it seems like it is going slowly. I just can't wait to call and pray for our baby by name. On a much funnier note, I think I will now include some of the awesome advice I have recieved from my 4th grade st

Baby #2 is On the Way!

Yay ! We are having another baby! This has been a terribly hard secret to keep for the past few weeks, but now we can shout it out! Yesterday we went to our first doctors appointment and then did about 6 hours of telling our huge family. Here's how our day went: Our appointment was at 9. We registered, sat down for 1 minute, and then we got called back to get the ultrasound. I had never had an ultrasound this early with Ava, so I really didn't know what to expect. The ultrasound lady just keep looking at this screen and there would be a beeping sound every so often and we were all so quiet for at least 5 minutes, it could've been an hour though. One thing I don't like is silence. And there was a lot of silence. The ultrasound tech and Kyle were both staring at the screen with straight faces, so at that point I started praying and waiting more. Finally, she turned the screen for me to see, and there it was. This tiny little baby...the head, the body, I could